Who knew . . . the Jersey shore was so cool?
Thursday night I got a text inviting me to join a relay team for a race in Jersey. Friday morning I got an email with the particulars and by Saturday morning at 5:30am I was in the car on my way to the Jersey Shore. I had really no clue what I had just signed up for but figured it would be a good change of pace on the marathon training (which is actually happening as opposed to my half marathon training plans which don't). A friend of mine had hurt her foot so I was taking her place. She was able to come along and ride her bike and cheer us on. We couldn't have made it without her!
A couple of teams made up of people from Manhattan ran in the relay race. 5 people on each team ran a total of 26.2 miles. Our team finished in just under 4 hours. I realized that in a few weeks instead of running the first 6 miles, handing off the baton and waiting around while others ran that I would run the entire race myself. This was an exciting yet scary thought. 4 hours is a long time to be running, yikes, I am going to try not to think about it.

When it wasn't your turn to run we had fun driving from hand off to hand off, cheering for runners along the way, eating doughnut holes, drinking gatorade and finding the best bathrooms with the shortest lines and listening to the radio in the car (some how listening to the same song at least 5 times during the trip). Some moments were more exiting than others, can you tell by the looks on our faces.
After the race we checked out the running expo, filled up on free lunch (not technically free since we paid to run the race) and then hung out on the beach before heading back to the city. It was a quick little road trip, I would love to go back to the Jersey shore but was glad to get back to the city and have a little bit of a Saturday left to get things done.
I better not forget to mention both the weather and the company was wonderful which always makes a road trip even more enjoyable.
3 comments:
Nice job, Steph! You look great (as always). I can't wait to hear how your marathon goes. You are a rockstar runner!
actually, I knew that the Jersey shore was cool. I love it, but then again, I know I'm a little biased!
Congratulations, you marathoner! quite impressive.
Congrats! Wish I could have gone with you guys. Just think, you are one race more prepared for your marathon! YAY!
Post a Comment