
Who knew . . . he wanted to marry me?
First let me set the stage:
Today I wore new dress pants and boots to work. I think no matter how old you are it's always fun to wear new clothes and shoes. I must say I looked cute and it helped me get through the second day of post holiday blues (trust me this is part of the story). P.S. I know you just scanned for pictures of my cute outfit or this guys who wanted to marry me and were disappointed there are none but hang in there. This is a good story. Keep reading.
After work I had a list of errands I needed to accomplish. I was walking briskly down the street from the 72nd St subway stop to the new Apple store on the UWS when it all went down. And when I say "it" I mean me. Thats right I tripped and not only tripped and stumbled I tripped and fell flat on my face.
How it all went down:
You see I was walking quickly as I normally do and the boots were new and I was carrying a different bag than I normally do and I was wearing a big dress coat and I was day dreaming about something else being somewhat oblivious to what I was doing and where I was going. As I crossed a street the toe of my boot caught the edge of the side walk causing me to stubble and eventually crash down to the ground. My attempt to catch myself was pathetic and instead of catching myself my hands skidded out in front leaving me laying flat with my face centemeters from the concrete. No need to be worried because I wasn't hurt other than a sore hand. But I sure was shocked and flustered. The rest of the story is a bit of a blur mostly because it happened so quickly and because I was still in a a state of shock.
As I realized what happened and where I was I got to my knees and started to asses the damage. My favorite pair of gloves were ripped on the palms from sliding across the sidewalk. My coat was dirty. The toes of my new dress boots were badly scuffed. Luckily, thanks to the long dress coat, the knees in my dress pants were unharmed and I think and hope that my face never actually touched the dirty sidewalk.
The next thing I knew several people were asking me if I was okay. I remember mumbling "I am fine, I am fine, thanks for asking" as I tried to stand up without looking anyone in the face because I was quite embarrassed. When out of the corner of my eye I saw a man run over from the center of Broadway and start picking me up. He kept asking me if I was okay as he held on to my shoulder and arm. He probably thought I was going to fall down again and was there ready to catch me if I did.
Of course I mumbled the same thing over and over and started walking away. As I got a few feet away a woman came up to me and said "Really are you okay?" To which I replied with my standard line "I am fine, thanks for asking". Then she blurted out "Wow, I think that man wanted to marry you!". She turned the corner and continued talking on her cell phone.
The moral of the story, check the Missed Connections section on Craigs List:
Apparently all I need to do is wear new clothes, look cute, fall down on my face in the middle of the sidewalk of NYC and I could get married. Wow! Who knew it was that easy? I have been going about this dating thing all wrong. Too bad I was too embarrassed to get a look at this guy to see if he was marriage material. Come to think of it I don't remember that he smelled badly when he was near. He was strong enough to pick me up off the ground. And he was kind enough to notice someone on the ground and do something about it. He was a gentleman.
Maybe I should check Missed Connections on Craig's List tonight to see if this guy leaves me a message. Here is what it might say . . .
Subject: cute girl in new boots lying on the sidewalk
Message: I fell for you as you fell down tonight. You looked stunning as you crashed down to the cement on the corner of 70th and Broadway. I was the guy who came to your rescue. If your single and in search of a hero, I'm your man.
Ohhhhh good times living in this crazy city.
4 comments:
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! I live for your posts because I am always so entertained. You tell the best stories.
LOVE it! :)
You should post the ad
You crack me up! I am surprised that women was so perceptive!
I hope you continue to have fun (but maybe less painful/embarrassing) adventures!
Post a Comment