Saturday, March 1, 2008

Bodies

Who knew . . . the largest muscle in the human body is the gluteus maximus?

This guy was shocked to find this out and so was I!

Emilie, Mark and I met up with a friend of Emilie's from work and we spent the morning at the Bodies, The Exhibition down in South Street Seaport.

The Exhibition was fascinating. I relearned a lot of things about the nervous, circulatory, muscular, skeleton systems. Here are a few things I learned:
  • The smallest bones in the human body are the auditory osscicle bones or the stirrup bone. A tiny bone found in your head that is required for hearing.
  • The largest muscle in the human body is the gluteus maximus.
  • An infant has the same size eyes when born as they do in adulthood.
  • The right ventricle is larger in area and pumps blood a short distance to major organs while the left ventricle is narrow in size and pumps blood to the further extremities.
  • The average human will urinate 12,000 gallons in over the course of their life time.
  • If it weren't for your kidneys you would urinate 50 gallons a day.
  • Every drop of blood circulates through the heart in one minute.
  • Infants have 300 bones while adults have 206.
  • Your bones are 5 x stronger then steel.
This exhibition is very interesting, informative, and somewhat eye opening. Going into it I thought I might feel a bit ill and wouldn't want to eat for a while yet had no problem and enjoyed going to lunch with everyone following our little adventure.

7 comments:

The H Factor said...

Even thinking of going to the bodies display makes me want to vomit. Reading the interesting tid-bits of information you picked up from you visit however, I found fascinating.

You're blog is great. Way to be.

Odell Family said...

Steph,
I love reading your blog. It is so different and interesting and refreshing. You have a really cool life!

I don't usually leave a lot of comments on peoples blogs, but I am really curious about why an infant has more bones than an adult? Almost 100 more!? (seriously, I want to know the answer to this if you do know it!)

p.s. I just told Shaun that infants have more bones than adults and he says that he respectfully disagrees..and that you should lay of the crack. (his words, not mine).

kelsey said...

thank goodness for kidneys

Who Knew . . . said...

"Crack is whack" according to Whitney Houston. And according to several sites online including wikipedia the different in # of bones between babies and adults is true and due to bones fusing together over time as growth occurs. I know. I too thought this fact might be a bit exaggerated, but true or not, it is the word on the street according to several sources.

Spencer Family said...

Yay! I am so glad you went. It really is amazing isn't it?! Oh and babies having more bones than adults is true. Their skull bones aren't completely fused until they are between 1 and 2. Where all the extra 95 are I don't know. :)

Esther said...

Glad you were still up for lunch but I'm guessing you didn't go out for ribs.

Meagan said...

I went to the Bodies exhibit here in Charlotte and it was AMAZING. But that kind of anatomy stuff is my thing sooooo I really really enjoyed myself!!!!

 
Web Statistics